If I were writing this blog before 2020, I would have definitely said that adaptable HR software is essential so that it could grow with your company headcount, help you stay compliant, and so on. Especially, if you own a startup.
However, in March 2020, THE WORLD CHANGED OVERNIGHT! It led to a wave of unprecedented changes in the way you and I work, completely transforming the very architecture of HR.
So, what helped businesses and HRs sail smoothly through the turbulent times? – Openness to adaptability and technological innovation.
And, this brought about the dawn of the new world of Adaptable HR Software.
What is Adaptable HR Software?
The world of work has transformed by leaps and bounds, over the years. While earlier, the talk was about choosing the best HR software for your business; it has now shifted to finding an adaptable HR software. But, what exactly differentiates it from a regular HRMS software?
Here’s what Josh Bersin has to say:
It’s an HR software with supreme agility. In simpler words, it is an HR software that is able to change to suit new situations; one unified platform that can manage your entire employee lifecycle – Talent Acquisition, Workforce Management, Payroll & Expense, Employee Engagement and People Analytics.
It solves a big problem. As a buyer who is on the lookout for a truly adaptable software, you don’t end up with multiple ‘specialized tools’ that might not work well together. You can just choose one HR platform, make your functioning smooth and get countless results.
Let’s move on to the NEXT BIG QUESTION:
Why should you switch to adaptable HR Software?
Before I answer that for you, take a glance at the checklist below:
If you agreed to even 60% of the statements listed above, you must switch to an adaptable HRMS software sooner than ever.
“The three pillars of an adaptable HR software – Adoption to the core, Commitment to Outcomes, and Navigation to the future. ” – Shelly Mittal, Brand Manager, HROne
How adaptable HR technology can help your organisation stay ahead in the new world of work?
1. Efficient management of multiple employment types viz., gig workforce, shared employees, etc.
It all started last year. Working from home was not considered a great idea until everyone was forced to work from home. For some companies, sharing employees became a way to curb their employee cost without laying them off. The demand for the gig workforce spiked as full-time workers had the constant fear of losing their jobs, some started to like working in a flexible work environment more. From the company’s perspective, it relieved them from having to pay the person every month, thereby, saving costs. But, accommodating this employment type was not something most HR software had the provision for.
The adaptable HR software helped in setting different policies for the gig and shared employees. It gave the HR the liberty to set different policies using certain organisation unit combinations, role engines for some employed in the same department or even individually. Once the workflows were set, new gig workers could be auto-assigned the tasks page access, data rights and policies. For instance, setting different expense policies for a full-time employee in the sale and someone on a contractual basis.
Benefits in a nutshell
- OU engine flexibility to accommodate different employment types
- Customisable page and access rights to view, edit or take other actions
- Ability to define the same policy in multiple ways for different employment types like gig, full time, shared and more.
2. Systematic provision for making, keeping and implementing frequent updates, policies and guidelines
During the past year, there have been many policy changes across organisations due to the change in work model. There were so many changes to be announced and implemented. Most of the HR software did not have the provision to manage these two employment types.
Only companies that were quick enough to trade a regular HR software with an adaptable HRMS could effectively
- Release various policies – WFH, timing policy, comp off policy, attendance policy
- Include every employee in the mediclaim and cover COVID treatment in the health cover
- Allow web or mobile login, geo mark attendance or integration with the task management tool to avoid biometric punch-ins
- Announce leaves for periods, mental health, burnout and wellness
- Go completely digital for query resolution using the helpdesk module
Benefits in a nutshell
- The permission to make multiple policies
- The permission to change the rights of managers and employees when required. It should not be rigid. For instance, giving managers access to team attendance reports or letting them or the HR place on behalf requests and approvals for attendance
- Option to change health cover and benefits conditions
- HR handbook to view the policy
- A mobile app that works at least 80% like the web application
3. End-to-end automation for unforeseen contingencies like employment downsizing, bulk hiring, etc.
2020 saw mass layoffs, resulting in bulk-hiring in 2021, as the businesses started to pick up again. The job market is on fire with 80% of the job market is services. The lesson? Unforeseen emergencies never come with a preannouncement. So, it is imperative for an HRMS software to be truly adaptable, so that it can handle mass requirements in less time through automation – Like auto-assignment of tasks to the new joinees, e-completion of exit formalities, etc.
Benefits in a nutshell
- Ability to auto-assign the workflow for onboarding and exit formalities
- Ability to credit the amount promised to employees laid off like severance pay
- Ability to process bulk hiring or layoff, onboarding and payroll respectively
4. Effective communication for improved employee engagement and continuous performance review with quarterly goal setting
The remote work model made it imperative for businesses to find ways to stay connected to their workforce virtually. Moreover, the companies also needed to shift the way they monitored employee performance. It was just the time to find ways to keep employees motivated and productive. But, continuous listening and monitoring was not actively practised by most companies before. Not many HR software were ready for it.
The right software adapted to this requirement by introducing a task management feature, introducing pulse and surveys to understand the employee mood, and leverage announcements and chat to foster positive communication. Strong online onboarding with features enabling the manager to send notes to the new joinee on the first day, allowed the employees to introduce themselves to everyone on the wall and much more was done.
Benefits in a nutshell
- Continuous + 360-degree performance management system
- Communication wall
- Rewards and badges
- Pulse and surveys
- Liberty to set performance system as you like- KPI , initiatives one on one
Which Adaptable HR Software should you choose?
We hope this blog helped you understand why a highly flexible, customisable, integrable and scalable HR software is vital in the new world of work. When it comes to adaptability and tech innovation, there’s no one like us. HROne is your single source of premium automation and adaptability in HR.
Read what our product manager, Magnum Gupta, has to say:
Why should HROne be your next HCM suite?
The Future of Adaptable HR Technology
As for the future, the adaptability of the software would be defined by its capability to promote DEI and diagnose harassment. We are working on empowering our software to do this and more. Did you check with your vendors? Are they there yet?