Complete Employee Engagement Guide that guarantees success
This guide will set a strong foundation for your engagement compendium with the best of examples, tools and other resources to build your brand image– and attract, nurture talent tactfully to hit those business numbers!Download FREE EBOOK
Employee Engagement Guide
45 Min Read
What is Employee Engagement?
Before answering your question, let us begin by asking something to you first. What comes to your mind when you think of what Employee Engagement probably could be?
Busy, happy, appreciative, innovative, overworking, fetching handsome amount. Right?
If you nodded, then let us happily break the bubble for you. Employee engagement is more than all these. Most importantly,
Employee Engagement ≠ Employee happinessIn reality,
Employee Engagement= Employee’s psychological investment + Motivation to deliver exceptional results
Employee Engagement Meaning
According to SHRM, Employee engagement is how satisfied employees are with their work and how much pride they have for their employer.
As Gartner says, the extent to which employees enjoy and believe in their work and know that their employees value their contribution, the employee engagement is going to be high and the employee would be more willing to put extra efforts and be his most productive self. Infact, he might also be more likely to commit to the current company.
Employee Engagement Definition
Gallup the extent to which employees enjoy and believe in their work and know that their employees value their contribution, the employee engagement is going to be high and the employee would be more willing to put extra efforts and be his most productive self. Infact, he might also be more likely to commit to the current company.
So, what’s the OG mantra?
“Treat your employees like you’d want them to treat your customers.” -Karan Jain. HROne
How would engaged employees appear to be?
While happy employees would be okay with how everything is, engaged employees would question. They will treat your company as if it is their own. Finishing projects on time, acquiring that new lead, proposing new ideas to scale business, they will do it all. They will not shy away from volunteering and think about your business beyond work hours i.e 9 to 5. Engaged employees are the people you would never want to let go of. Such employees won’t be happy always as they would be busy thinking and working on ways to better their work and that of organisations’!
What can an employer do? How can he take steps in the right direction?
- Would you like your customers to be happy with your product? Yes
- Would you want them to choose you over and over again i.e invest in you? Yes.
- Would you like your employees to be happy? Yes.
- Would you want them to stick to your company and deliver high performance? Yes.
And yes, this is it. This is the mantra the way to win customers’ heart goes through your employees, EACH ONE OF THEM! When you want to do the bare minimum you try to keep them content BUT when you want to keep them engaged, you start to care deeply about their likes, dislikes, analyse their behavior and really think how you can adjust your culture as per them or/ and make them love the way it is!
|What we think it is||What it is|
|The paycheck||The purpose|
|The satisfaction||The development|
|The boss||The coach|
|The annual review Conversations||The ongoing feedbacks|
|The weaknesses||The strengths|
|The job||The quality of life|
Watch the video to know about the difference between Gen Y, Millennials and Gen Z and tips on how to engage each one of them.
Why is it important?
Most importantly because decisions or actions that employees take on everyday basis impacts your business, workforce and the culture.
A few ways engagement can help you in, are-
- High productivity
- Lower absenteeism and
- Higher profits
- Better retention rate
- Better customer experience
- Improved brand Image
- Attract best of talent
When engagement at work is not taken seriously or done rightly, as per Gallup, it can result in approximately $450 billion of worth of lack of engagement annually.
Keeping employees engaged assures you of better business results in good bad economic times, or across company, industry and nationality.
Studies suggest that companies with more engaged employees witness 51% higher productivity rate and 80% of these engaged employees show a greater level of trust in the management while also being more committed to achieving the overall business goals!
Now, would you as an employer not want all this? Definitely, you would. To to it the best way, read this guide start to end.
What to do when employees are disengaged?
The Maslow’s hierarchy law is the perfect explanation to the engagement model. Let’s call it the engagement pyramid and think of it in that direction. The basic need as per Maslow’s theory are physiological, safety, love and belonging, esteem and self-actualisation. When we think of it in the direction of work, all of it converts to money. Job security, great team, work culture and then feeling appreciated and recognised enough, Towards the top of the pyramid development opportunities to uncover their potential and reach the ultimate career goal!
Given that you start identifying and categorising your employees into these buckets as per where they are in their engagement journey with you, you will end up turning the disengaged employees into engaged ones.
Hierarchy Of Engagement
- I love working here
& I inspire other
- What I do makes a
- I feel part of a
- I’m here for the
- I’m only here for
- Job Security
But what steps do you exactly take to fulfill each of these employee engagement needs?
An employee engagement software can significantly help you in this regard but not until you use it right! To understand how the same, you need to identify the presence and absence of important employee engagement components and then put the RECAP formula to best use accordingly!
How to identify the presence or absence of engagement?
Despite the efforts that companies put into increasing the engagement only 15% employees across the globe come under “engaged” category!
So, let’s begin with a few questions and then move on to telling you radical RECAP FORMULA to take your people engagement number to another level.
Note: The questions are inspired from the famous Gallup’s 12-point survey for the employees. Answer these questions as an employer to your own self to understand your current engagement levels.
- Your employees know what is expected of them at work.
- Your employees have the right tools and equipments to do the work in the best way possible.
- Everyday they are given the chance to do what they are best at.
- The employees receive meaningful and actionable feedback at least once in a week.
- Your employees feel that at least one person like the manager or someone else in the team cares for them as a person.
- The employees have at least one person who encourages them to do better and develop professionally.
- Your employees feel their opinions are heard and make a difference.
- The employees feel the mission of purpose of the company makes their work. Job role important.
- The employees see how committed their coworkers and seniors are to doing quality work.
- Every employee has at least one best friend at work.
- In the past six months, someone has talked to them about their progress.
- In an year’s span, employees feel that they have had the opportunities to work, learn and grow.
For the questions you answered with a no or maybe, the formula will help you turn it into a yes. Because despite putting more and more efforts, nearly 85% of employees around the globe are still actively disengaged at work.
Let’s talk about Generation R!
We are certainly witnessing a new world of work and with it, a new generation of employees- Generation R.
Watch the video to understand what this new term means and how you can embrace this generation.
Discover The hrone recap formula For Employee Engagement
Recap is an abbreviation to what we have understood talking about engagement and working on it over the years. Not just that, it also means that you should look back and really take a recap of all the practices and behaviours in the past so as to be in a better position to fruition your recruitment efforts and also optimise the way you use recruitment management software and HR software holistically.
In this special formula to spike engagement, we share tips to make things work in your favor.
Rewards & Recognition
“People work for money (basic need) but walk an extra mile for recognition, appreciation and rewards. For the deepest desire for every human is to be ultimately appreciated for what they do.”
78% of employees are highly engaged when they feel strong recognition from their organizations.
Use Badges & Rewards
to recognise good work and make appreciation a daily practice!Explore now!
Little things that make a huge difference-
- Verbal and Written Appreciations
- Regular Announcements and Shout-Outs
- Occasional Bonuses and Appraisals
- Championships and Winning Titles
- Gift Vouchers and Goodies
- Tours, Trips and Travel Packages
- Monthly and Yearly Performance Awards
“When people are financially invested, they want a return. When people are emotionally invested, they want to contribute.” – Simon Sinek.
Employee engagement at work is all about emotional connection. Companies still fail to realise that only 22% of people leave their organisations for money, had they been offered enough emotional salary, they would have stayed!
It precisely includes autonomy, belonging, creativity, direction, enjoyment, inspiration, mastery personal growth, professional growth and purpose!
Give Emotional Salary
to retain your talent and keep them investedRead more
Little things that make a huge difference-
- Tell them how important their work is in achieving the business goals
- Stop micromanaging; trust them and let them work independently
- Instead of being the boss, be their coach; help them master their strengths even more
- Ask them to help you in ideation for that new project, don’t tell them to follow a set path; let their creativity spur
- Celebrate every little to big win; involve them in social interactions, outings
- Be invested in their personal growth, besides work, help them be more self aware and help them be a better person
- Try to create a connection between their values and company value so that they stay motivated and loyal
“Whatever you speak seldom makes you learn, if you want to improve your organisation/ the way you lead and engage, you must listen. Who can be better than your employees for it?”
Listening to each employee in person on a continuous basis is quite impractical but this practice is also crucial for employee engagement. So, figuring out a way to enable it is essential. In length, and quick pulse surveys and moodbots are a proven way to activate continuous listening.
Use Pulse, Surveys, Moodbots
to know your improvement areasExplore now!
Tip: To use the method efficiently, it is necessary to trigger a special 3- step continuous wheel that briefly includes- Listen, Act, Analyse!
Download “ The continuous listening guide for the irresistible organizations” For FREE Now!Give me the PDF
Or to make it even more personal, you can take a cue from the example below- Dharmesh Shah, the co founder of Hubspot launched “Ask Dharmesh Anything” wherein all the Hubspot employees could use to directly interact with him!
the 4 c’s of continuous listening
- Coordinated &
Collect & Combine
Little things that make a huge difference-
- Give them meaningful work- If survey results show employees are not happy, assign the initiative of redesigning role & responsibilities to the respective manager(s).
- Make your management supportive- If results show employees are not happy with their managers, arrange workshops and training sessions for them to coach them the right way to lead!
- Provide them with a safe work environment- If even one employee has been inappropriately talked to.or touched, immediately ask the HR to revisit company policies, let the employees know about it. You can also introduce a committee to handle such gross people plaguing your work environment internally and warn/ fire him/her.
- Build Growth Opportunities- If results show that employees feel they aren’t growing, you can introduce “Challenge -me” Assignments, lateral talent movement and like.
- Trust in Leadership- If the employees don’t think there CEO hears them, make a forum where they can write or talk directly to the CEO about their concerns.
Little things that make a huge difference-
- Give them a new work responsibility
- Ask them to work in coordination with different teams/ departments
- Let them share their ideas for every project, make them a part of planning and ideation phase to show how much their ideas are valued
- Give them due credit in front of seniors for their ideas, growth and performance.
Positive + Clear Communication
“Positive communication begins with mutual respect, empathy and results in effective teamwork by uplifting their morale.”
“High performing companies are TWICE as likely to keep communications simple & jargon-free.” – IABC Report
Tip: Switch to HR software with a fully functional mobile app to maintain consistency.
Use HR Posts & Announcements
to keep one and all informedKnow more
Little things that make a huge difference-
- Make every little win count. Make sure you let every departmental and organisational achievement come in the knowhow of every employee
- Treat them as a part of your family. So, not just professional, talk about their personal milestones like the news of a newborn, marriage anniversary and more, all should be celebrated
- Share motivational quotes, positive news and tips to help them keep their emotional and mental well-being great!
- Use tools to build a positive narrative around every change that employees might resist to and ofcourse to make the routine announcements.
Engagement by role
Employee engagement in HR is not the only thing that needs attention. Most of the engagement programs fail because they are primarily and many a times even solely considered “an HR thing”! It has always been seen as something that is not the onus of any manager, leader or a frontline employee. Because of this very belief, most of the organisations think that they have exhausted their employee engagement strategies and give up on putting efforts way before truly exploring the full potential to revolutionise their business. Despite attempting repeatedly to raise the engagement numbers, they either see low engagement or see it reaching the plateau.
To ensure everyone stays informed and engaged enough, HROne introduced India’s first Inbox For HR. A gmail-styled HR inbox that efficiently organises the actionable tasks, so you never miss a task again.
Sometimes the tool they use reflects high people engagement levels but they still fail to see the change in business results. Ultimately being at a loss of explanation or failing to figure out the root cause, they end up blaming factors other than their own practices and mindset.
Hence, to take businesses out of this cycle of putting efforts, and not getting the desired results, we made a 3 point rule for everyone involved in the engagement work– managers, senior stakeholders, and employees.
HROne’s Special 3 point Rule
Pinning the exact three things that they must do right below.
Managers- Listen, learn, Lead
Senior Stakeholders- Head, heart, hands
Colleagues- Collaborate, cooperate, appreciate
Listen, learn, lead
Above everything, you play the role of a catalyst, an enabler. Not only do you set the tone for work environment but also guide employees and stakeholders of how much to expect and keeping the goals realistic.
- Listen to your employees and know their needs
- Learn through active listening the factors that are impacting engagement at work.
- Lead and take actions that can help achieve the goals set for them
Head, heart, hands
Who we are, why we exist, how do you help us succeed? Start answering these questions to employees so that they can connect to your organisation and continue to choose you over others.
- Head should be focused on ensuring how employee strengths can be used optimally and ways to connect individual goals and vision to that of company’s.
- Heart must be used to empathise and think of the well being of employees in every way.
- Hands are to make sure everyone is engaged enough in work and to reward outstanding performance.
Collaborate, cooperate, appreciate
More than managers and stakeholders, employees stay in touch with each other. You play an integral part in engagement for each other.
- Instead of working in silos always work in collaboration with your team members.
- Cooperate with everyone. Cover up for them, support them, give them inputs
- Appreciate each other’s efforts, work skills, soft skills to keep the environment happy and motivating.
Are you ready?
This complete engagement guide is an actionable and insightful resource for every employer, HR or manager who is looking to transform their workforce or team into a highly engaged one to optimise their business results or achieve team goals.
The cut to cut HROne RECAP formula, granular level understanding of how performance, engagement and recruitment are interlinked would act as the foundation model while helping you know exactly what engages and what disengages them. Gradually, you will also rebrand your company as the one that values and cares for their employees FOR REAL!
Also, now that you have chosen this road, remember to do the inside work too! Ingrain in management the importance of employee engagement and the power of putting people first. Because, till the time you would not change yours and the mindset of the people at core, change would only happen at the surface level and won’t be long term.
We Are Listening…
Begin with a small workshop, conversation, or the best- Making feedback and appreciation an ongoing practice Stay determined, keep implementing The RECAP Formula and when you feel stuck, talk to us. We are just one email/call away to help you rewrite your organization’s employee engagement endeavors and make them work for you providing phenomenal business results!FREE DEMO
Why our clients are all praises for us?
See what makes HROne better than the rest straight from our esteemed clients!