Absconding employee is done when the employer has no idea where the employee is during office hours as they are not present in the office and there is no update from their end.
When an employee is not reporting at work for 3 consecutive days and has not informed his managers or peers about his whereabouts or the reason for his absence, this situation is called absconding in human resources.
It is one of the most unprofessional and disreputable reasons to terminate the contract of employment. The HRs dread this mishap whenever it occurs in their organization as the employee decides not to go to work suddenly without handing over the acquired asset, information, etc. to the authorities. The motivation of such an employee comes under scrutiny as his motives and intentions could be a threat to the organization.
- The absconder becomes a threat for the company in the following situations:
- If he is found guilty of stealing confidential documents, information, or database of his workplace.
- If the person is going through stress, related to work and performance.
- If the absconder has committed a crime outside office hours due to dispute or otherwise. They usually hibernate so as not to be found by the authorities.
- If the absconder has committed a criminal offense within office or working hours. It can be any form of crime such as hacking, molestation, bribe, etc.
- If he has been offered a great job opportunity by another company and wants him to join immediately. In this, the absconder does not wish to serve the existing company anymore and may find the separation process long and complicated.
We can conclude that people that think running away from a problem is as good as solving one does such dishonorable acts are cowards.
No policy is placed separately by the government in India when it comes to absconding employee. However, every company can create a policy of their own and share this with them during onboarding. Mostly, it is better to issue an absconding letter to the employee who leaves without informing. However, if the employee has some of your company assets or information, due that they must settle, companies always have the option to take legal action.
Workforce management software can be used to extend an absconding letter to employee or even to check the absconding letter format. Here is a sample of the absconding letter. You can mention-
“This is a final call from the company to get in touch with you as you have not been present in the office for ___ days without updating your manager. This is considered against the termination clause in the appointment letter.
We request you to report to the office by _____ or we will take it as your unwillingness to work with us. You would be blacklisted and terminated from the company. We will also freeze your PF account.“